“That’s awfully nice raspberry cordial, Anne,’ she said. ‘I didn’t know raspberry cordial was so nice.”
Too bad that it wasn’t actually Raspberry Cordial that Diana Barry was drinking! We’re sure it would have been much more appetizing than Currant Wine…
Here is a recipe for Raspberry Cordial that will have you in exclamations of appreciation not dissimilar to Diana’s:
- Mix 500g of fresh or frozen raspberries with 500g caster sugar in a saucepan.
- Add three tablespoons of red wine vinegar.
- Heat it gently on the stove whilst mashing it with a potato masher.
- Once it is gloopy and thick then press through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Add a little water (about 400ml) to swish out the saucepan and to pour over the raspberry pulp in the sieve in order to get as much taste as possible.
- Pour the strained liquid back into the saucepan and bring to the boil for two minutes.
- Pour into a sterilized bottle and store in the fridge for up to four weeks.