“I just grow cold when I think of my layer cake. Oh, Diana, what if it shouldn’t be good! I dreamed last night that I was chased all around by a fearful goblin with a big layer cake for a head.” -Anne of Green Gables
If you are looking for an easy to make dessert recipe, look no further than this Anne Of Green Gables inspired Goblin Cake. While it does take some time to prepare, we promise it won’t inspire dreams of goblins with layer cakes for heads!
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a small saucepan boil a little water–about 1 cup.
- Set a samll mixing bowl over the boiling water and add the chocolate.
- Turn the heat to low and melt the chocolate.
- Remove the bowl and let it cool.
- Measure the sifted flour, soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add chocolate, milk, and melted butter to the flour mixture.
- Mix together then beat for 1 minute with electric mixer.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the cake batter and mix another 3 minutes with the mixer constantly scraping down the sides with an rubber spatula.
- pour cake batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Test cake with a toothpick.
- when the cake layers are done remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with Chocolate Fudge frosting.