What makes a Perfect Anne of Green Gables Doll?

What do you look for in a perfect Anne of Green Gables Doll? Have you ever come across one that simply takes your breath away?

Growing up I had a fair bit of exposure to dolls. No, it wasn’t that I was playing with them often (unless my sister made me), it was because two of my Aunt’s hosting a Doll-Making group. During family gatherings, I would see amazing creations come to life as intricately detailed pieces were assembled to create collectible dolls.

I still wouldn’t consider myself an expect on dolls, so I’m going to need your help to help me rate a collection of Anne of Green Gables Dolls.

Doll # 1

doll1-295x395

One comment I have about a number of Anne of Green Gables dolls is that the face seems too plump. Anne, the scrawny orphan I imagine having a slighter build.  However, I think the eyes give this doll a charming larger than life character.

Doll # 2

Anne_of_Green_Gables_2-295x393

This doll has a unique look and a calming property. I’m not sure the facial expression is quite right though

Doll #3

anne-doll31Anne looks shocked! Anne with such a small mouth doesn’t seem quite right to me. I do enjoy the different take on Anne’s hair – but overall this doll I feel lacks some class.

Dolls #4

anne-doll-4-295x360

Another thing I don’t like is how so many Anne of Green Gables dolls look so serious. Anne’s imagination and sense of wonder would never set her with such a stoic expression.

Doll #5

our-doll-295x442

ShopatSullivan, the official store of Sullivan Entertainment launched their own doll line.  This is a 12″ Wincey Dress Anne of Green Gables doll. The costume perfectly match the movies – which is amazing.  My critique about chubby cheeks still applies here.

So, what do you look for in an Anne of Green Gables doll? Do you have a favourite one that you’ve owned for years?

I don’t think I’ve come across the perfect Anne of Green Gables doll yet, but maybe I’m just too critical.

To view the other Sullivan Entertainment Dolls, click here.

doll12puf_1-295x442

About the Author

Three time Emmy-award and Peabody-award winning Sullivan Entertainment is an international media production and distribution company. With a vast inventory of programming from all genres, including mini and long-form series, feature films, and children’s and comedy specials, the company has become renowned for providing audiences around the world primarily with lavish period escapism, for over 30 years.

19 Comments

• Laura says:

As a doll collector, I’m EXTREMELY picky when it comes to choosing dolls for my personal collection – Anne dolls or otherwise. I have not been able to find the *perfect* Anne Shirley doll, either. I had an Anne vinyl play doll when I was little, but she scared me! It takes a lot for a doll to scare me, but this one – with her staring green eyes – scared me for sure. Needless to say, she wasn’t my beloved imaginative orphan in my doll play – she was the bully character! She also had bangs, and it really bugs me to see Anne dolls with a full set of bangs. That’s my problem with Doll #5, too. I also think that Doll #5 looks too young, too childish. For me to like her, she needs to look like Megan Follows.

I actually ended up giving away my ‘scary’ Anne doll, and the only Anne dolls I have now are the miniature ones I got in PEI. When I want an Anne, I dress up one of my redheaded American Girl dolls or my redheaded Magic Attic Club doll in period clothing. I also think that Maplelea Jenna, aside from her full bangs, makes a good Anne, and I love that the company sells an Anne costume for her!

• Catherine Cole says:

I agree on all counts with the exception of #2’s expression. To me, it looks like dreamy Anne. The complexion is perfect, the wincy dress is perfect, the hair perfect. I love this one. Where is it available? #5 is also a contender but you’re right about the cheeks.

• Pamela says:

I love doll 3

• Pamela says:

I meant .2.

• Sandy says:

Ilove doll 5

• Cathy Grills says:

doll 2 is quite striking IMO……

• Diana Barry says:

i think that she (Doll 2) is the best looking one of Anne! i love anne of green gables! me and my Friend call eachother Anne and Diana becuse we are so much like them! i am more like diana and she is more like anne! i love annes imagination! she is so radiant and pretty! and gilbert is so cute! i feel so bad for him beacuse anne is so mean to him!

• Diana Barry says:

i like number 2 the best! she is just perfect! she looks dreamy and bursting with imagination!

• Diana Barry says:

i like doll 2! and not o be rude but this blog is about Anne of green gabls not about just every day stuff so could you save your chatting for facebook and not for anne of green gables?

• I’ve been a doll collector for countless years. I would have to go with doll #2, where is she available? She looks more like Megan Follows than any other doll. Ginny dolls and Madame Alexander dolls have much the same look on their faces with no personality. Sullivans doll #5, I would never buy her, she also has no personality to her at all and her body looks a little too small and childish.

• Bethany says:

Doll #2 for sure, but I’ve always been a Madame Alexander fan and did not even know they made an Anne doll!!! I would love to have both! 🙂 I love laretta777’s doll also! Very cute and whimsical! 🙂

• LNR says:

#2 for sure.

• Silver Bush says:

I would have to say that neither doll is perfect but there is a perfect one, although very limited. I just got mine 🙂 It is made by Xenis Doll and comes with a music box. Truly beautiful!